Friday, March 28, 2014

Random thoughts on Donor Embryos and Infertility

I mentioned in previous posts that I've been seeing a therapist that specializes in infertility, which has been super helpful.  It's forced me to talk about my feelings about infertility, most of which I have been burying for the last 6 months or so.

One of the things I mentioned in my last appointment was that I realized the other day that I won't have those moments where I blame my child's bad behavior on my husband's DNA.  I always imagined our children taking after me or my husband, but genetically our children won't.  My therapist asked me if it made me sad, which is hard to answer.  I think any person would be lying if they said it doesn't make them a little sad to give up the genetic ties to their children.  Mostly though, it's just a weird thought, not sad, just strange.

The other thing that I realized the other day is that our donors are around the same age as my mother. The embryos have been frozen for 12 years.  If we do get pregnant, our child/ren will have genetic siblings that are 13 and 18 years older.

I have found some silver linings to infertility.  My favorite occurred to me when I was listening to a coworker talk about trying to explain to her young child where babies came from.  I've got it easy.   I'll just tell my child that I went to the doctor and he put a baby in my belly.  Honesty is the best policy, right?

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I like the way you think, Twink! Super cute about explaining to your child where babies come from :)

    I'm glad you're working through the emotional aspect of this crazy journey. I can imagine that it's hard to sort through it all. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with RunCC that I like your idea on telling you LO where babies come from. :) Keeping everything crossed for you!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete